IMPORTANT CALIFORNIA LAWS EVERY LANDLORD SHOULD KNOW
To read the exact California law concerning these topics, please click on the code section below
California Civil Code 1941 - Landlord's DUTY TO REPAIR a residential unit
- What is the landlord 's exact duty to repair the unit and maintain it in a habitable condition?
- What is the tenant's duty to keep the premises clean and undamaged? 1
- What is the tenant's duty to allow landlord in to make repairs?
California Civil Code 1941 .1 - The UNHABITABILITY of a residential unit
- What is the exact definition of what makes a residential unit habitable or uninhabitable? California Civil Code 1941.2 -The TENANT'S DUTIES
- What is the tenant's duty to keep the premises clean?
- What if the tenant won't let the landlord in to make repairs?
California Civil Code 1950.5 -SECURITY DEPOSITS for residential dwelling units
The exact law on security deposits for residential dwelling units, covering:
- What a security deposit is
- How much of a deposit you can ask for
- What deductions you are allowed to make
- How to give the tenant proper notice of the deductions
- How to give the tenant proper notice of his right to request an initial inspection of the premises
- How to handle the tenant's request for an inspection before, during and after the inspection
California Civil Code 1950.7 and 1950.8- SECURITY DEPOSITS for commercial units
- What is required and what is prohibited
California Civil Code 1954 - LANDLORD'S RIGHT TO ENTER THE PREMISES
- When is a landlord allowed to enter the premises?
- How to give proper notice of entry to the tenant
- See also California Civil Code 1940.2 regarding abusing the right to enter
California Civil Code 1940.9- GAS AND ELECTRIC METERS
- Requirements for Landlords if there are not separate meters to each unit
California Civil Code 1941.3 -DOOR AND WINDOW LOCKS
- Landlord's duty to install and maintain door and window locks
- Tenant's duty to notify the Landlord of an inoperable door or window lock
California Civil Code 1941.4 - PHONE JACKS
- Landlord's duty to install and maintain at least one usable telephone jack
California Civil Code 1941.5 - Tenant's RESTRAINING ORDER against a non-tenant
- Landlord's duties when the Tenant has a restraining order against a non-tenant
California Civil Code 1941.6- Tenant's RESTRAINING ORDER against a co-tenant
- Landlord's duties when the tenant has a restraining order against a non-tenant
California Civil Code 1941.7 - MOLD
- Landlord 's duty to repair mold
- Tenant's duty to give Landlord notice of mold
- Landlord's right to enter the premises to repair mold
California Civil Code 1942- TENANT'S RIGHT TO "REPAIR AND DEDUCT"
- When can a Tenant make their own repair and deduct it from the rent?
California Civil Code 1942.1- RENTING PREMISES "AS-IS"
- Can a Landlord rent a premises "as-is" and/or hire the Tenant to make the repairs?
California Civil Code 1942.3 - PRESUMPTION OF UNINHABITABILITY
- What makes the court presume that the premises are uninhabitable?
- How do you overcome the presumption?
California Civil Code 1942.4- Collecting RENT on UNHABITABLE PREMISES
- Can a Landlord collect rent on an unhabitable premises?
California Civil Code 1942.5- Landlord's RETALIATION against Tenant
- What constitutes retaliation against the tenant for requesting a repair?
- What are the consequences if the court finds retaliation?
cc 1940.2 Can I do a SELF-HELP EVICTION by threatening the tenant to vacate?
cc 1940.3 Can I ask about the tenant's IMMIGRATION or CITIZENSHIP STATUS?
cc 1940.4 Can I stop tenants from putting up POLITICAL SIGNS?
cc 1940.5 Can I prohibit a WATERBED?
cc 1940.8 Do I have to give the tenant a copy of my PEST CONTROL CONTRACT?
cc 1940.8.5 Can I do the PEST CONTROL myself?
cc 1940.9 What if l don't have separate GAS AND ELECTRIC METERS?
cc 1940.10 Can tenant have a GARDEN?
cc 1940.20 Can tenant put up a CLOTHESLINE?
cc 1942.2 Can tenant deduct a UTILITY BILL from the rent?
cc 1942.7 Can I make my tenant DE-CLAW or DE-VOCALIZE their pet?